Thursday, January 15, 2009

Why Your Brain Can't Always Make Good Decisions

As I was browsing the health articles on CNN today, I came across an interesting one. 


http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/12/decision.making/index.html

It basically talks about how humans have two thought processes when making a decision, those being, intuition and reasoning. We're good at making minor decisions using our intuition, but it can only take us so far."The intuitive system is emotional, fast, automatic but slow-learning, while the reasoning system is emotionally-neutral, slow, controlled, and rule-governed." I'd like to think that I reason and rationalize outcomes with myself, but when it comes to relationships with the opposite sex, all of that flies out the window, and I'm making decisions left and right based on how I feel. I plead temporary insanity to those horrible and irrational decisions of the past. I can definitely relate to the "slow-learning" part of intuitive thinking.  3 years of mindless decisions and my reasoning system is finally kicking in! Better late than never, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment